Saturday, June 30, 2007

MAY was WONDERFUL!!

I'm sorry that it took all of June for me to make this entry.
Micah did make it home. For 16 glorious days. He looked wonderful, skinny, but wonderful. At the airport, as he walked toward us I literally couldn't breathe. Watching him snatch Alli up into his arms, gratitude washed over my heart. It wasn't until the moment that I could look straight into his eyes, with that smile two inches from my face, did my breath return "Thank you Lord!"
Kenn, Elise, Alexander and I all had wonderful times with him while he was home but none of us had our fill - the countdown for coming home was replaced with the ticking dread that he had to go back. But the looming May 22nd date became so minimized because Micah, on the other hand, made the most of his time here.

He had been masterful for months, planning all that went into asking Alli Byram to marry him. He included all of his family, her family and their friends (who - showing how awesome they all are) kept the secret to the very minute he got down on his knee.







Alli - has been amazing while he's been gone but seeing how strong they are together was a gift. They had time at the beach with her family. Time in Auburn with their friends and time here in Birmingham with us, his Uncle Jeff from VA and his Crazy Aunt Kathy and her husband Jeff from Indianapolis. We had the most wonderful glimpse of how fun and wonderful it is going to be with her in the family.


As most of you know, he is back in Iraq now - with only 8-12 weeks to go until he is home again, this deployment finished. Another countdown. Taking him to the airport and watching him get on the plane was the most agonizing thing I have ever been through. Nothing in my life so far has had this deep of an effect on me. It's impact has not left me. I have dropped him off places, (sleep overs, camp, trips) I have let him go, (baptism, college, boot camp, Iraq) but this was Surrender. Any thread of personal possession, credit, pride I have held in Micah vanished. You spend a child's life saying, "My baby. My boy. My son." Secure, they grow up knowing who they belong to - who loves them. Looking into his eyes that morning I saw a man divinely designed to be able to do a remarkable thing. To bravely leave those he loves, who love him; those which he belongs to and belongs with; those who want to hold him, celebrate him and protect him; courageously he walks past opinions and for the moment, brushes aside political tensions and heads straight into harms way and danger, toward those who for many reasons want to destroy him; he is an American, a soldier and a Christian (literally marked on his body); so to do his duty, protect his family, friends and homeland - he goes to Iraq.
This man who held my gaze - came from God's mighty, loving hand . This son - I surrender -
He is amazing!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Micah and Everyone...

I hope you are all doing well.

I have to agree with your mom when she said how hard it was sending you back to Iraq. It was so hard I had to put all those feelings into a poem. I hope, Micah, you like it!

I Watched the Plane Leave 5/22/07
(For Spec. Micah Tolle, U.S. Army, Iraq)


It was eight thirty right on the dot,
My stomach turned as we pull into the parking lot.
The time was getting closer and my heart began to sink,
My throat became dry and I really needed a drink.
We walked into the airport and checked right in,
We gave her some time so that she could be alone with him.
We went through security, then on to the gate.
I wasn’t sure how much more I could take.
I heard him say it’s time to board the plane,
He hugged me and told me that he was going to be OK.
I had a whole speech I was ready to say
but the tears started to flow and got in the way.
So “I love you so much” were all the words I said,
I had to walk away. I had to turn my head.
I prayed to God that he would return to us safe
I knew in my heart I must have faith.
When he walked down the gate he turned to wave goodbye
I looked at his mom who had started to cry.
As I watched his plane take off into the air
My heart broke in half, it was more then I could bear.
I thought about all the goodbyes there would be
But this was different; it’s back to Iraq you see.

By Aunt Kathy Wiley


Be safe, take care, God Bless and know that you are loved!

Anonymous said...

From Homer
I read in awe the wonderful words of Micah's family. I look forward too to having him home again very soon. We are counting the days. Hey Alli, I am Micah's Grandmom.

Anonymous said...

Micha,
Thank you for calling last week. We are praying for you and look forward to seeing your face soon. We love you,
Dan & Anne, David, Steven & Andrew

Anonymous said...

Hey Micah and everyone... I hope you are all doing well.

It's been a while since I have last written..sorry! Been real busy and we are really picking up at work. Your Uncle Jeff (Wiley) just had his 50th Birthday yesterday (July 29th), what can I say, he married a child bride (that's me). Time sure doesn't slow down when you start getting up there in age.

Well it should be just a few more weeks in Iraq for you...thank God! I worry about you every day but I know you have your angels watching over you.

Not much is new in Indy, we decided not to sell our house. Instead we decided to stay there until we retire (which will come soon enough) and just move to Alabama or Tennesse. I would prefer Alabama. That way I can be closer to you and the rest of the family. You know Jeff and I could be like Frank & Marie from Everybody Loves Raymond and we could move right across the street from you and Alli!! HAHAHAHHA, I would never do that but it is funny if you think about it!

Well not much to talk about today so I'll write to you soon.

Take care, be safe, God Bless and know that you are loved!

Anonymous said...

Hey Micah and everyone...

THREE MORE WEEKS...YEAH.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you (I'm always thinking of you) and Alli...Hang in there it won't be long now until you are together again(just in time for football season...Go Colts)!

Love you...

Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hey Micah...

I hope you are well! I was just thinking of you and Alli.

Your mom left a message on our machine and It sounds like it won't be long now until you come home. YIPPEE... I can't wait!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey Micah...

I'm not sure where you are, if you are still in Iraq but I thought you should know that the Colt whipped the Saint's butts last night...41 to 10...YAHOO! We are off to a great season. We really looked good last night!

Well you should be home soon, I'm sure time is just dragging for you right now but hang in there, it won't be long. I can't wait until you get home! Did I ever tell you that your me hero? I'm so proud of you!

Love you!

C.A.Kathy

JoAnn Tolle said...

Hey Micah,

We can't wait to hear that you are safely back on United States soil. You are in our thoughts and prayers everyday!

Life here in Virginia has been good. Scott started school this week... The homework has already begun! In fact, as I write this, Scott is working on his history homework! "Sunday school" (albeit on Wednesday nights) starts next Wednesday. We have been having unofficial gatherings at a local coffee house all summer. It's been great! What a witness to our Lord when about 20 youth overtake the coffee house (Greenberry's) and talk about different parts of their faith or their love of Jesus Christ. This kind of scene always gives me so much hope for this world of ours today.

Please be safe and take care!

Love,

Aunt JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Hi Micah! As I'm reading here it sounds like you are almost home! PTL! I know you haven't heard from us very much, but our prayers have been with you.Our hearts are full as we reflect at all that God has and will continue to do in your life! Congratulations on your engagement to Alli. We hope to see you all again soon. God's blessings and protection be upon you. Love, Aunt Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Hey Micah and everyone...

Your Mom left a message for us yesterday and it sounds like you made it to Kwait safe and sound. Thank God! I was really worried about you being on that helicopter and the sand storms. Only a few more days and you will be back in the USA and your tour of duty will be done...again Thank God. I know you must be so excided to see Alli and the rest of the family...soon, very soon!

Just know that I'm thinking of you and Alli and I pray for your safety all the time.

I love you...take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey Micah...

WELCOME HOME. I'm so happy to have you back here in the U.S.A. I can't wait to see you and Alli!

Just know how proud I am of you and what you have done for our freedom. You're very special and will always be my hero!

Love you!